Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is April 2, 2021.
The Institute for Research on Labor and Employment (IRLE) is an interdisciplinary institute at the University of California, Berkeley that is home to several nationally-recognized centers and programs that conduct research, education, and outreach on labor and employment issues. IRLE is housed in a 3 story, 15,000 square foot historical building with over 100 staff, faculty, researchers, students, visiting scholars and other active appointments.
This position’s primary responsibility will be to serve as the IRLE building facilities and safety manager overseeing maintenance, renovations/upgrades, building access and keys, equipment inventory, phone lines and IST billing and facilities charges, office moves, employee on-and off-boardings, building emergency plans/drills, and other building related responsibilities.
The scope and impact of this position will extend throughout the organization because they will interface with all the building occupants at one point or another, either in-person during their onboardings/offboardings or via email when they are sending out building related announcements. The scope and impact of this position will also extend beyond the institute, as they will also serve as the point of contact with Physical Plant and Custodial Services, Campus Recycling & Refuse Services, Grounds Keeping, L&S Facilities, Capital Projects, EH&S and other facilities-related departments on campus.
- Oversees building and grounds maintenance, repairs, upgrades/renovations.
- Serves as the point of contact with Physical Plant and Custodial Services, Campus Recycling & Refuse Services, Grounds Keeping, L&S Facilities, EH&S and other facilities related units.
- Makes recommendations for facility improvements/upgrades.
- Works with onsite contractors and other vendors to coordinate work schedules, facilitate emergency access, and track progress of work.
- Oversees office moves, furniture ordering, IST phone /node orders, as well as Excess and Salvage and Shredding Services pick-ups.
- Submits and follows up on work requests.
- Keeps the Assistant Director informed as needed, escalating building /space issues to her and the Director when appropriate.
- Coordinates on-boarding and orientations for new staff including computer equipment and set up.
- Maintains space assignment plans, building occupant rosters and lobby directory.
- Helps ensure the staffing information on the IRLE website is kept up to date and is accurate.
- Keeps building occupants informed about building facilities issues that may affect them and any new campus policies/procedures.
- Fills out campus building related surveys and requests for information.
- Oversees quarterly meetings and communications with the IRLE center’s building coordinators.
Building Safety/Emergency Preparedness:
- Serves as main IRLE safety coordinator and building monitor for campus emergency/disaster preparedness.
- Maintains the building emergency and contingency plans and coordinates education and planning in this area for all building occupants.
- Serves as the communication liaison between campus service agencies and building occupants.
- Maintains and supervises distribution, security and maintenance of department radios as required.
- Maintains first aid and earthquake and other safety supplies and equipment.
- Represents IRLE at campus building safety/security meetings.
- Conducts regular periodic rounds to inspect areas for security, fire and accident hazards and reports any building irregularities to the IRLE Assistant Director.
Managing Reception Area/Conference Rooms/Copier Room/Common Areas:
- Ensures a clean and orderly environment so that front reception, conference rooms, and common areas are kept clean and orderly, furniture properly arranged, conferencing equipment secured and in proper working order.
- Oversees all the signage for the building including ordering new employee office name plates.
- Receives and distributes daily mail and purchases.
- Under the direction of the Assistant Director, and in coordination with the center financial designees, logs and coordinates checks received in the mail with the University Development Office (gift checks), Contracts and Grants Accounting (grant checks) and with the Vice Chancellor for Research finance team (other revenue checks).
- Ensures that the main IRLE copier, fax and other main office equipment are in working order.
- Assigns copier codes and submits/follows up on service requests.
- Ensures sufficient inventory of office and kitchen supplies.
- Serves as “Department Access Key Controller” as defined by the UCPD Access Control Policy, maintaining accurate records of all access control activities, ensuring appropriate authority prior to issuing keys, ordering replacement keys as needed, recovering department keys from departing personnel, reporting any failure to recover access control keys to department management and UCPD, and securely storing unassigned keys in the department’s UCPD approved cabinets.
- Also responsible for programming/distributing building entrance electronic door codes and card key access.
- Manages overall building operations budget, as well as renovations and other building-related project budgets.
- Tracks expenditures and coordinates billing with Physical Plant, L&S Facilities, Capital Projects, IST and other building related recharge service units to ensure proper billing.
- Reviews accounting statements and monthly expenditure reports for accuracy, ensures proper allocation of costs to various IRLE centers and programs.
- Coordinates with center financial designees and IRLE assigned Financial Analyst to initiate expenditure transfers as necessary.
- Provides support for IRLE Central events which includes moving furniture, setting up chairs, tables, catering, audio/video equipment, etc.
- Monitors the front and side door access during events and provides other event support tasks as needed.
IT Equipment Tracking:
- Tracks new laptop/desktop purchases requests made via ServiceNow and Bearbuy.
- Follows up and escalates issues to Assistant Director and IT Manager as needed.
- Maintains computer and laptop inventory and serves as the department equipment custodian through the campus equipment tracking system.
- Schedules and coordinates Excess and Salvage pick-ups for discarded equipment in coordination with the IT Manager.
- Receives campus training and serves as the ergonomics coordinator for the institute.
- Stays informed about the latest campus ergonomics information and sends occasional reminders and tips to the building occupants.
- Interfaces with the campus Ergonomics Program and coordinates the paperwork for the purchase of ergonomic equipment and supplies.
Back Up Student Hire/Stipend Processing:
- Processes the paperwork and serves as liaison with SHARE HR/Payroll, the hiring supervisors and student employee on the processing of their GSR and student assistant hires and stipends.
- May require assisting with sometimes complicated student hire issues, i.e. eligibility, salary setting, fellowship/workstudy award issues.
Supervision of Student Assistants and Other Miscellaneous Administrative Duties:
- As assigned by the Assistant Director.
- Working knowledge of practices and procedures relating to facility maintenance.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with diverse groups in a professional and effective manner both verbally and in writing.
- Skills to work under pressure of deadlines in a stressful environment.
- Active listening, interpersonal communication and problem solving skills to effectively resolve questions, concerns, issues or problems and ensure cooperative and productive working relationships.
- Skills to work independently and as part of a team.
- Organizational skills to work on multiple projects, to establish goals and workload priorities, and to meet project deadlines.
- Working knowledge of practices and procedures of safety and emergency preparedness.
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to changing circumstances or priorities.
- Ability to use sound judgment in responding to issues and concerns, maintaining confidentiality when necessary.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in customer service.
- Attention to detail and ability to work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Proficiency in google office applications including google mail, drive and calendar.
- Able to learn new software quickly.
- Knowledge of common financial principles and experience working with budgets.
- Education/Training: Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn common University rules and regulations, business processes, systems and procedures.
- Demonstrated interest in IRLE’s mission
- Previous UC experience and working knowledge of the UC on-line systems: Cal Answers, PI Portfolio, Bearbuy, travel and entertainment reimbursement system, and UC Path
- Experience using Asana task management software.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience within the range of $30.66 – $34.87.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please visit the UC Berkeley jobs site and search for Job ID #16587 for the full job listing and to submit your application. Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: