- This event has passed.
[CANCELLED] Exclusion and Extraction: A Symposium on Criminal Justice Contact and Labor Reallocation
This event has been cancelled.
Featuring legal scholars, social scientists, justice reform leaders, and others, this symposium will highlight emerging research on the role of the penal state in shaping the flow of individuals into and out of the labor market. Panels will examine how the state excludes justice-involved individuals from labor market opportunities, while also extracting labor from the same individuals caught in the web of various penal arrangements.
Schedule and panel details forthcoming.
Organized by Sandra Susan Smith, UC Berkeley
Panelists and Speakers:
- Edward Flores, UC Merced
- George Galvis, Communities United for Restorative Youth Justice
- Michael Gibson-Light, University of Arizona
- David Harding, Berkeley Sociology
- Erin Hatton, University of Buffalo
- Chris Herring, Berkeley Sociology
- Joshua Kaiser, Dartmouth
- Benjamin Levin, University of Colorado Law
- Sam Lewis, Anti-Recidivism Coalition
- Danielle Mahones, Berkeley Labor Center
- Chris Muller, Berkeley Sociology
- Katherine Newman, University of Massachusetts-Boston
- Dorsey Nunn, Legal Services for Prisoners with Children
- Steve Raphael, Goldman School
- Jenny Roberts, American University, Washington College of Law
- Jonathan Simon, Berkeley Law
- Wendy Still, Alameda County Probations Chief
- Naomi Sugie, UC Irvine
- Noah Zatz, UCLA Law