The undergraduate research apprenticeship program (URAP) is designed to involve Berkeley undergraduates more deeply in the research life of the University. IRLE serves as a host for URAP projects related to our mission. We provide students with additional support, training, and an opportunity to present their work at a showcase at the end of the semester.
Students have until August 27 to apply for 2018-19 on the URAP project site.
For more information about the program, see Berkeley’s URAP program.
As an apprentice, students will work on faculty research and learn advanced research skills, explore fields that interest them, and find out what it is like to be an academic at the world’s premier research institution.
Faculty and researchers from all of the schools and colleges and research units at the University of California at Berkeley are welcome to participate.
What IRLE Offers
- Screen student applications and help match qualified students with projects.
- Four workshops for apprentices to discuss experiences, address concerns, and find community in IRLE. Workshops may include: (1) How to approach a writing project, (2) Research Methods, (3) Conducting a literature search and creating an annotated bibliography; and (4) Professional Development. IRLE can also offer additional support for specific software, methods, and data sources required for specific projects.
- Support for participating faculty and students in managing the apprenticeship relationship.
- Space and computer access at IRLE for apprentices to do work for faculty and to network with staff researchers.
- IRLE will organize and host a research showcase on December 5 (Wednesday) from 10 – 5 pm, for students to present their projects and faculty to facilitate the presentation.
- The possibility of $4,000 in summer funding for undergraduate apprentices continuing their work with faculty.
August 15: Last day to submit new URAP projects
August 15–27: Students submit applications online
August 27: Student Application Deadline, Faculty have online access to applications
August 27–Sept. 7: Faculty schedule interviews, select apprentices, submit Learning Contracts online
Questions? Contact IRLE’s Education Program Manager Harpreet Zoglauer, firstname.lastname@example.org