The Institute for Research on Labor and Employment’s (IRLE) mission is to conduct and support research on labor and employment at UC Berkeley. Our goal is to bridge the gap between academic research and the policy world. To achieve this goal, IRLE supports policy-relevant and policy engaged research; disseminates the latest research from our centers, affiliated faculty, and scholars to a wide audience of policymakers, academics and the public; and educates California’s labor, business, and community leaders.
IRLE is a research unit at the University of California, Berkeley. We stand apart from individual academic departments under the Vice Chancellor for Research and support research on the entire range of labor and employment issues across campus.
The Program Assistant serves as the IRLE event and purchasing coordinator and in addition events management and purchasing/reimbursements is also responsible for processing visiting scholar appointments, administering the annual IRLE Call for Proposals program, maintaining the internal and external calendars, and providing general administrative and programmatic support for IRLE.
- Event coordination: Oversee IRLE Central events which entails: Communicating with speakers (including travel, reimbursement, and AV needs), managing RSVPs, coordinating reimbursements, making room reservations, arranges for room setup and cleanup, sign-in sheet, day of logistics, oversees events publicity: flyers, social media and website, coordinates getting information about events to web and communications staff, enters and updates events on wordpress website, Berkeley events, IRLE public calendar and handling other event details.
- Purchasing/Accounting: Coordinates IRLE central purchasing, travel/entertainment, reimbursements, independent contractor agreements and other types payments. IRLE event credit card and blucard holder. Reviews UPS bills and coordinate’s recharges to centers. Answers purchasing questions and provides guidance to the other administrative assistants within the IRLE centers performing purchasing/accounting related duties.
- Visiting scholars and visiting student researchers: Administers the IRLE visiting scholar program which includes the processing of appointment paperwork, the collection of the IRLE fees, coordination of office space and key issuance, introducing the scholars to the IRLE community, making sure they’re added to the IRLE list serves and their photos and research blurbs are posted on the IRLE website, responding to their inquiries, and ensuring proper maintenance of the visiting scholar room/ carrels. Works with HR to resolve any potentially complicated issues that may arise regarding their visa processing or other visiting scholar eligibility issues.
- Annual IRLE Call for Proposals Administers the annual IRLE competition for Faculty and Graduate Student awards which includes updating the call for proposals, disseminating to faculty, accepting and logging proposals, assisting with the award selection process, sending out award and rejection letters, getting student profiles and coordinating posting on website, monitoring award balances and informing Assistant Director of any potential for cost overruns.
Miscellaneous administrative support
- Assist the IRLE Assistant Director in coordinating with CSS on hiring and other HR matters.
- Manages contact system which includes Salesforce and Mail Chimp databases (enters and edits contacts, manages email bouncebacks).
- Maintains IRLE internal staff calendar and IRLE public calendar.
- Checks email@example.com email, manages general public email and phone inquiries.
- Ensures sufficient inventory of event supplies.
- Produces content for annual report and similar publication.
- General admin. support for the IRLE Management Team which includes special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Supervision of student employee.
- Previous office experience.
- Exceptional organizational skills and demonstrated ability to set priorities, organize a vast array of information, to think critically and exercise nuanced judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly with tact and sensitivity both orally and in writing.
- Good math skills and ability to work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Experience working with databases and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including Word and Excel, calendaring systems, bCal and other UCB google office applications.
- Previous experience with event planning and purchasing/accounting.
- Experience and knowledge of UC administrative policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated interest in the IRLE mission and programs.
Salary & Benefits
Hourly Salary Range: $22.79 – $32.64
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Go to https://jobs.berkeley.edu/job-listings and click “External Applicants” (or “Internal” if you’re a current UC Berkeley employee) and then search for keyword “#24906”, which is the job ID. Use the system to submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more
information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative
action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
The first review date for this job is May 22, 2018