The Institute for Research on Labor and Employment (IRLE) is hiring a 50% GSR for the 2018-19 academic year to support our Policy Brief series. IRLE’s Policy Brief series is aimed at communicating the academic research of our faculty affiliates and campus researchers to a non-academic audience. We take academic papers and translate them into clear, concise papers focused on policy implications. We distribute briefs to policymakers and journalists; for examples of the series see http://irle.berkeley.edu/policy-briefs/.
IRLE’s mission encompasses issues related to labor and employment, bringing together researchers from a broad range of disciplines, including economics, sociology, city planning, geography, education, social welfare, and law. This position is a great opportunity for a student interested in honing their skills in policy analysis and writing.
- Work with the Associate Director to identify topics for the series
- Identify suitable research publications (working papers, journal articles, or other research products) by UC Berkeley faculty and researchers
- Outline and draft briefs
- Create graphics (charts and tables)
- Work with communications staff and faculty to coordinate publicity of the briefs
Required skills and experience
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to create charts, tables and other data-based graphics using Excel or other data program
- Experience writing for a non-academic audience
- Meets UC GSR eligibility requirements
Desired skills and experience
- Background in public policy analysis and writing
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign
- Familiarity with labor and employment policy issues
This is a 20-hour a week / 50% GSR position at Step III with in-state fee remission.
How to Apply
Send a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples for a non-technical audience to IRLE Associate Director and Policy Brief series editor Sara Hinkley at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.