Temporary Research Assistant / Interviewer
January – April 2019
The Institute for Research on Labor and Employment (IRLE) at the University of California, Berkeley, is hiring a research assistant for a short-term project based in Los Angeles.
IRLE has been contracted by the County of Los Angeles to conduct an evaluation of the alignment of workforce development services across LA County, including multiple providers, funding streams, and government agencies. We are assembling a small research team, including a research assistant based in Los Angeles whose primary responsibilities will be documenting service practices in agencies and conducting interviews with key staff. The research assistant will work closely with a Berkeley-based graduate student researcher and the project director, both in person in Los Angeles and over skype.
This position is a great opportunity for a current graduate student or someone with research experience interested in developing skills in program evaluation and in the area of workforce development.
• In coordination with project lead and graduate student, identify interview subjects and make a research plan for completing interviews in a timely manner.
• Interview staff of LA County agencies about the operations of workforce services, including how services are accessed by residents and how data and outcomes are tracked.
• Keep records of interview progress and convey interview documentation to the project team.
• Reflect and provide suggestions for next steps in the research process
Required skills and experience
• Excellent writing skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to work independently and manage deadlines
• Experience conducting interviews for research
Desired skills and experience
• Background in program evaluation
• Knowledge of the goals and best practices of workforce development programs
• 30-40 hours per week, starting early January
Salary: $30-35 / hour
How to Apply: Send a resume, cover letter, and one writing sample to IRLE Associate Director Sara Hinkley at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed immediately; position open until filled.