Graduate Student Researcher Needed
The Institute for Research on Labor and Employment (IRLE) is hiring a graduate student researcher for Spring 2019. This is a 50% GSR position at step V, with fee remission.
The GSR will work primarily on a short-term research project commissioned by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, to study efforts in LA County to improve alignment of workforce development activities among agencies. The GSR will assist with overall management of the project and will research and document best practices in workforce development services, in particular alignment of services across multiple agencies and improving service delivery for populations with significant barriers to employment (e.g. workers with criminal justice backgrounds). The overall project involves documenting practices in LA’s workforce development agencies and conducting interviews with key staff. A research assistant based in Los Angeles will conduct interviews over a 2-month period; the GSR will help develop questions, organize interview documentation, and write up findings in conjunction with the project leader. The project is led by Sara Hinkley, Associate Director of the Institute for Research on Labor and Employment.
This position is a great opportunity for a student interested in developing skills in program evaluation and in the area of workforce development. Our findings will be presented to LA County staff in late March or early April. Travel is not required for this position, but the GSR has the option of participating in the final presentation and a planning meeting in Los Angeles.
Required skills and experience
• Excellent writing skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with government staff at a variety of levels
• Ability to work independently and manage deadlines
• Meets UC GSR eligibility requirements
Desired skills and experience
• Knowledge of the goals and best practices of workforce development programs
• Experience in program evaluation
• Experience conducting research interviews
• 20 hours per week (with the option of working full-time January 7-14 for hourly pay based on the GSR salary scale).
How to Apply: Send a resume, cover letter, and one writing sample to IRLE Associate Director Sara Hinkley at email@example.com. Position open until filled.