Research Economist and CWED Co-Chair
Institute for Research on Labor & Employment
University of California, Berkeley
2521 Channing Way, No. 5555
Berkeley, CA 94720-5555
Phone: (510) 643-7080
The teacher pay gap is wider than ever
Sylvia A. Allegretto and Lawrence Mishel
CWED Brief #2016-06
California's Labor Market: Eight Years Post-Great-Recession
Sylvia A. Allegretto with research assistance from Saika Belal
CWED Brief #2016-02
Tipped Wage Effects on Earnings and Employment in Full-Service Restaurants
Sylvia A. Allegretto and Carl Nadler. Industrial Relations. October 2015, Vol. 54 Issue 4, p622-647
White House report that uses Allegretto's research
The Impact of Raising the Minimum Wage on Women
And the Importance of Ensuring a Robust Tipped Minimum Wage
The White House,
- "Are Minimum Wages Absorbed by Price Increases?" ASSA/LERA annual meetings. San Francisco, California. January 3, 2016
- "Post-Great Recession Blues (and then some…)." Coalition of Labor Union Women 18th Biennial Convention. Sacramento, California. November 20, 2015
- "Retirement Prospects for Workers in California."
California Secure Choice Investment Board. Sacramento, California. April 27, 2015
- “The Minimum We Can Do: Wage Floors in the U.S.” Union Privilege Liaisons’ Conference. Denver, Colorado. April 16, 2015
- "Federal Minimum & Subminimum Wages: Dynamics & Importance of the Two Tiered System."
A hearing on HR 1010. Richmond, California. March 31, 2014
- "The Reason They Call it the American Dream is Because You Have to Be Asleep to Believe It."
UCLA Hammer Forum on Bridging the Inequality Gap. Los Angeles, California. March 11, 2014
- "Waiting for Change: The Two Tiered Wage Floor System."
75 Years of the Fair Labor Standards Act, U.S. Department of Labor, Washington DC. November 15, 2013
- "The Wrecking Ball: Post-Great Recession Blues."
11th Teamsters Canada Convention, Quebec City, Canada. July 2, 2013
- "Waiting for Change: The $2.13 Sub-minimum Wage."
U.S. Senate HELP Committee Briefing, Washington, DC. June 21th 2013
- "The Great Recession and Youth Unemployment: Evidence from the United States."
University of Bergamo, Bergamo, Italy. October 18, 2012
- "Do Minimum Wages Really Reduce Teen Employment? Evidence from the United States."
University of Bergamo, Bergamo, Italy. October 16, 2012
- "Economic Inequality: Causes, Consequences & Solutions."
UC Berkeley Teach-in, April 4, 2012
- "The American Dream: Fraying of the Folklore."
San Francisco Chapter of the National Association of Business Economics. February 29, 2012
- "Right-to-Work Legislation and Promises of Job Creation."
Labor and Employment Relations Association 64th Annual Meeting, January 7, 2012
- "It's the Economy Stupid" ,
California Federation of Teachers PLUCC Training, October 28th, 2011
- "Post-Industrial Rural Communities Myths, Realities, and the Unknown."
Federal Reserve Division of Community Affairs DC, October 20, 2011
- "Stuff You Should Know" ,
Council 57 Leadership Conference,
September 23, 2011
- "Waiting for Change: The $2.13 Sub-Minimum Wage"
Western Economic Association International 86th Annual Conference, June 29th, 2011
- "The Great Recession" ,
IRLE Colloquium Series, September 27, 2010